Tuesday, September 29, 2009

At Supper

A likes to talk. A lot. Recently, she has become much more fluent, using bigger words, and speaking in an "adult" voice. She loves to explain things. She explains everything. Even if it doesn't need explaining. Sometimes two or three times. Sometimes more. Sometimes, she can't think of what she wants to say, so she repeats a few words over and over again until she thinks of it. Tonight is a case in point:

Supper is about to begin. Mommy is putting the finishing touches on setting the table and trying to find out what everyone wants to drink.

M: A, what do you want to drink?
A: Water.
Pause
A: Water helps me...Pause
M: Yes?
A: Water helps me...Pause. Water helps me...Pause. Water helps me...Pause. Water helps me...Pause
M: Yeeeeesss???
A: Water helps me...Pause. Water helps me...Pause.
M: Yes, A. You've said that several times now. What does it help you do?
A: Water helps me...Pause. (At this point, I feel compelled to explain that she is not trying to be funny. She is perfectly serious. Nor is she doing this on purpose to be annoying. She just clearly can't think of what she wants to say. Her brow is furrowed in deep thought.)

This basic conversation continued for about 3 minutes, until I was laughing every time she said "Water helps me..." I don't usually laugh at my kids. I guess I was just really tired tonight. She got really annoyed with me:

A: No! Mommy! Water helps...
M: Laughing harder
A: NO! Mommy! Water helps...
M: Laughing harder
A: NO! MOMMY! STOP LAUGHING! WATER HELPS...

I did manage to stop, since she was getting so upset about it. And she finally got out what she wanted to say: "Water helps my mouth not to hurt when I eat." But the process was surely something else!