"Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart; and remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the sea." -Ulmo in J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion
Monday, October 25, 2010
Boston
Boston was fun. It was beautiful, fall weather the first day, the leaves were gorgeous (if just a bit past their prime). I walked more than I've walked in a very long time: all over Harvard, and almsot the entire Freedom Trail (the only thing I missed was Bunker Hill). And that's not to mention walking to the cafe half a mile away every morning for breakfast, at least a mile every night for supper, and almost a mile to get to the nearest T stop. I toured the Longfellow House, the Massachusetts State House (capitol building) and the Old North Church. Saw the USS Constitution, Paul Revere's House, and the Make Way for Ducklings statue. Walked through Boston Commons and imagined it full of Washington's troops, took a picture of the tombstone of the lady who inspired Hawthorne's Hester Prynn, heard a new Longfellow poem I'd never read before ("All houses wherein men have lived and died are haunted houses"), ate swordfish and cod at South Market, and saw Fanuil Hall at least once every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment