I was reminded today of our suffering brothers and sisters. A news article lists the topics of conversation forbidden for the Chinese to engage in with Olympic tourists. After reading the list, I am left wondering what they think they will talk about. They pretty much outlawed it all. I wonder if the Chinese will really mostly adhere to this or if they realize there is no way the government can enforce such overarching rules.
It makes me wonder about the Christians who are going to the Olympics with the idea of witnessing or encouraging fellow believers. It makes me wonder about the underground church. It makes me wonder about the pastor I read about in Voice of the Martyrs who was badly beaten just four miles from an Olympic site, for no other reason than that he believes in Christ. It makes me wonder if the seemingly new openness of China because of the Olympics actually signals a more stringent control as the Chinese authorities try to make contact between western and eastern Christians impossible.
It makes me think, maybe there should have been another group standing with the Olympic torch protesters. Maybe there should have been some Christians there, protesting China's persecution of those who are giving their blood to seed the Church. Maybe we should have stood up.
Maybe we still should.
No comments:
Post a Comment