Wednesday, December 17, 2008

T Flappers and R Approximaters

No, I haven't been blogging very much recently. And yes, I have a reason. My sister-in-law has been here, and we've been busy talking. In the process, I learned several very interesting linguistic terms, and she taught me how to pronounce the German "r" (important since it occurs in my last name). I think it's call an uvular something.

Since she was here, I have caught my daughters several times not approximating their r's. (Car sounds like cah.) They also have begun using the word "right" to mean "ok." Even I have begun using the term "a bit" a bit more often, although that may be partly due to the influence of Kipper.

We had a grand time, sharing stories, food, and fellowship. The girls thoroughly enjoyed playing with her, and even A2 became consoled at her presence in the end. We watched The Two Towers together, commenting and critiquing all the way (much more fun with a friend than alone). We met old friends and saw lots of beautiful Christmas lights.

Anyway, she left yesterday morning, and I can get back to my blogging in peaceful reminiscence of a great time with a great friend who I wish lived closer and whom I shall miss.

1 comment:

. said...

Sigh. I'm sorry she is gone. I never did get to finish that cozy chat I kept promising myself I would before she left again. Merry Christmas D!