Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Humor in a Crazy World

In a swine flu infested world of crashed airplanes, fake blog babies, way too little sleep, and precious bus kids moving [very far] away, Idril comes up for air in a desperate attempt to keep her sanity. How? By attempting to find humor in situations that most people would not attempt to find humor in.

First observation:
Ok, this is not that humorous. I just find it very interesting. Entire blogs have been started for no other reason than to discuss fake babies. It amazes me.

Second observation:
A & J had problems the other day with the toilet at church. A came to tell me about it: "Mommy, the toilet won't go down. J drank too much."
I went into the bathroom to investigate and found, when I attempted to flush, that the toilet was stopped up and had overflowed onto the floor. A pointed at the brimful pot and said, "See? J drank too much."

Third observation:
Last night in the bathtub, the girls asked if they could wash themselves. I guess we're a little behind in this area. I'm sure most kids are already doing this by the age of three, but we're a little bit behind. Let's just call it a mommy-of-twins prerogative and leave it at that. =)
Anyway, I agreed to let them try and see how they did. So we discussed all the body parts that needed to be washed.

While they were doing this, I figured now was as good a time as any for "the talk." (No, not that talk. We'll save that for a few years. Maybe. The other one.) So we discussed what kinds of touching is appropriate and what they should do if someone touches them inappropriately, etc. The subsequent conversation went something like this:
A: If R (name of child younger and considerably smaller than them in their MDO class) touches my bottom, I'll tell her not to.
Me: (trying not to look too amused) Did R touch your bottom?
J: Yes, she touches our bottoms like this (demonstrating).
Me: Well, R is just being silly.
A: Yes, but she touched our bottoms.
Me: Ok. Well, what should you do if someone else touches your bottom?
A: We'll ask dem not do dat.
Me: Then what?
A: Then we'll tell Mrs. A, "R touched my bottom."
Me: Ok, but what if you're not at school and someone else touches your bottom?
A: Then we'll tell them stop.
Me: What will you do if they don't stop.
A: I'll push R's hand away like this and tell her "stop dat!"
Me: But what if it's someone besides R?
J: But R touches our bottoms.
Me: R is just being silly, remember? But what if someone besides R touches your bottom?

You get the picture. From this point, we pretty much just went in circles because every time I tried to get away from R, one of the girls would bring her back up again. Not sure this was very effective.

Fourth Observation:
We started a unit on the Ten Commandments in Children's Church on Sunday. The kids made fences out of craft sticks and modeling clay. They were supposed to write each of the commandments on a cross beam of their fence. The didn't get all of them written, but several of them did write something. They had to leave the fences because the modeling clay had to dry.

After they all left, I was making sure all the fences had names and generally cleaning up the modeling clay mess, and I noticed this commandment, written on a fence post: "Don't say God's name mad."

Yeah, I guess that pretty much sums it up.


I know, I know, these things are not really all that funny. I told you I was desperate.

1 comment:

The Lazy Philosopher said...

Yeah I heard/saw that. Weird. And lots of people with way more time than I have apparently.
~
Which bus kids are moving?
~
LOL, maybe you need to limit J's liquid intake.
~
:) I'm sure it was effective enough. If it occurs they'll be able to relate the info to the new situation. That was just the only frame of reference they had.