Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Best Garage Sale Ever

Joe and I were married in 2001. We spent our wedding night here. We've been back a few other times, usually for an anniversary, although I think we went one time in December. It was sort of our special place.

Then, a year or two ago, the owner, Val Owens, died. His son took over running the B&B for a while, but recently I noticed when I drove by that it looked like it had closed.

Today, through the grapevine, we heard that they were having a garage sale there, and the prices were really good.

I was busy, and I had the car. There was no way for us to go. I called Joe and told him. He said he'd try to figure something out.

It was a long road, but he did go. And he came back loaded. He bought three framed paintings (two of which I remember from the room we always stayed in) for $2 or $3 a piece. He also bought three miniature kerosene lamps, an electric candle burner that looks like a dainty teapot, a pretty little saucer for my kitchen ledge, a manual edger (that was for him), and a set of porcelain hats. Some of the hats hang on the wall, some sit on a shelf, and one is a picture frame. The others hold flowers. The girls will like them as a set one day.

All in all, I was pretty happy with his purchases. This was not a particularly encouraging day for me, and it helped to have something fun waiting at home.

Then he said there was something else he had planned to save for Christmas, but he couldn't wait to show me. He got a bag out of the closet. Inside was the nameplate from the door of "our" room: "Friendship." There was also the guestbook the B&B's always have for you to write a note in and sign. I flipped through and found the note we had written. It was dated 2001.

No comments: