Wednesday, August 19, 2009

It's Official

A announced on the way home from church tonight that she is going to be a house builder and ride a motorcycle to work. She will build her Mommy and Papi a new house "when ours gets old" and live in it with us until she gets big. Then she will be a doctor.

~~~~~

In other news, the vet gave (literally) us some pain relief for Allie, and it has done wonders for her. She was pretty chipper today, rolling around in the grass and licking everybody half to death. She even barked at the mailman, which she hasn't done in a couple of months. I hadn't realized how much she had changed. I guess it was just too gradual, and I just attributed it to her getting older and slowing down. She still doesn't run or chase squirrels like she used to, but certainly seemed to feel a lot better. The girls seem resigned to the fact that she won't be around much longer, but I'm dreading it.

~~~~~

In all the turmoil over the dog, school has been sort of shoved under the surface. We have done school every day, more or less. I just haven't been thinking much about it. The girls love it! They are handling the Kindergarten language arts very well. I had really debated with myself over whether they were ready for that or not. But they seem to be doing fine.

We went with preschool math, and I'm wondering if I should have gone to K there too, except the book gets into telling time, counting money, and basic addition equations later on, and I don't think they know all that yet. Right now, they're bored stiff with math. This week: number 1. We need some kind of PK/K hybrid math.

The thing that is a real hit with them is their read-alouds. We chose the PK read-alouds because there were so many good books. They actually have a PK3 core of read-alouds too, and I would still love to get some of those. It's just a great collection of children's classics. We checked a lot of them out of the library over the summer and had a blast reading them.

Anyway, we read a story today from Japan, and guess what we get to do tomorrow! We're going to a friend's house for green tea and red bean buns (from Japan). It was totally a coincidence. My friend wanted to get together and the girls wanted to try a red bean bun (the Wiggles talk about them), so since my friend lived in Japan for a couple of years, we decided to have a Japanese tea. The Japanese story was actually not in the plan, but it fits in well. I'll try to let you know what I think of red bean buns. They're sweet, which seems really odd to me.

And what does A2 think of this new experience called school? Not much, as it turns out. Tuesday morning when we sat down at the table, he burst into tears. Today, he did everything possible to distract and interrupt. He's pulled all the calendar pieces off the wall twice (22 pieces), he watches intently to see what the girls are using at the table and then he grabs something they need and runs off with it, and today he colored all over the marker board with a Sharpie. It's enough to make me scream. Oh yes, and he screams a lot! I hope he catches on soon and is just content to play without constantly interrupting. Otherwise, I may have to consider something else. It's just that I have no idea what.

1 comment:

The Lazy Philosopher said...

try getting a couple of the cheap PreK-K workbooks that you can find at WM, $ store, Mardel, etc. That will be "fun" and reinforce things like counting and writing the numbers without being too simple...sort of fill time when they get bored with the math they have - so that they don't come to dislike it before they get to the new stuff.
~
Have you tried making him play alone? "This is the girls' school time, you need to play alone, in your bedroom (or the living room, etc.) for X number of minutes and then you can come have a snack with us."
He's big enough (though it might trigger some tantrums) to be expected to play alone for an hour. And, oddly enough, it will help encourage him to talk/verbalize appropriately on his own.