Friday, August 15, 2008

Feeling Like a Wuss

I am wearing a gray wrist band for the duration of the Olympic Games. It says, "Pray for China." Hundreds (maybe thousands?) of underground Chinese Christians are also wearing the "prayer band," which is printed in both Chinese and English.
I was sent a news article about the Chinese pastor ("Pastor 'Bike'") who originated the idea of the Olympic prayer bands. He has been arrested, along with his ill wife, and Chinese authorities are investigating the prayer bands. What courage it must take to wear a prayer band in China. And yet, here, no one even notices. And if they did, they wouldn't car. Not one person has asked me about my band in the week that I have worn it. I imagine that is not quite the same on the other side of the world. How sad that we take so much for granted. How sad that they must bear so much of the load, while we have none.

No comments: