Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Breakfast

This morning, as I do every Tuesday morning, I cooked. I only do this once a week, and usually, I make French Toast (my favorite, and everybody else likes it too). Today, I used a pancake mix; a very small pancake mix. I think the girls were a little disappointed. They liked it alright, but not as much as French toast, and they would definitely prefer the larger portions that come along with French toast.
Earlier today, we also had a lengthy discussion about what kinds of foods they would like to eat for their birthday.
All of that is simply background info. Menu planning was a major interest point today.
This afternoon, I had been sorting through my cookbooks and piled a stack of old cooking magazines on the living room floor to look through (in all my spare time, HAH!) The girls found them immediately when they got up from their naps. The cover of one showed a gourmet breakfast with all kinds of nice dishes, including pancakes, a casserole, a sandwich and some kind of egg dish. The girls found it and were both exclaiming over it. They decided they would like to try to make the orange juice pictured. So they brought me the picture and asked if we could make the orange juice. I looked to see what page the pictured recipes were on, and we looked at them. I showed them the "carrot pancakes" and told them there were carrots in them. Did that sound good?
"Noooo." (With expressive grimaces.)
The eggs turned out to be asparagus omelets. This didn't sound appetizing either. You could see their thought processes: "Why do all these breakfast things have yucky veggies in them?"
Then there was the kicker. The sausage casserole was topped with sliced tomatoes. A stepped away from me with a look of horror on her face and said in a low-pitched, very serious voice, with the push-away hand gesture that only she can make, "No! Tomatoes make people sick!!!"
Granted, I did tell her the other day that tomatoes were making people sick because of the salmonella scare. I guess she now has a permanent excuse for not eating tomatoes.
When I got done telling them what was in each dish, they both looked really disappointed, and J said, "I just want the orange juice."

No comments: