Recently, I was paying closer attention than usual to the words of the lullabies on my son's CD player. Some of them are downright disturbing:
Rock-a-bye baby in the treetop,
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock,
When the bough breaks, the cradle will fall (yikes!)
And down will come baby, cradle and all. (That's supposed to be soothing???)
And then there are the impossible promises:
Hush-a-bye, don't you cry;
Go to sleep my little baby.
When you wake, you will have
All the pretty little horses.
(Song then proceeds to list various colorations of horses promised to Baby.)
Discussion question: Is it ethical to continually make promises (even if set to music and even to an un-understanding baby) that will not and, in some cases, cannot possibly be kept?
But here's the one that really got me:
To my little one's cradle, in the night (So far so good.)
Comes a new little goat snowy white (Do I really want a goat, even a snowy white one, leaning over my baby's cradle in the middle of the night?)
The goat will trot to the market (good place for a goat)
While mother, her watch will keep (I will? I thought I was going to be asleep too.)
To bring you back raisins and almonds?!?!?! (CHOKING HAZARDS!!!!! HIGHLY ALLERGENIC!!! As if the goat was capable of buying such things. And as if the market was open in the middle of the night. Well, maybe in NYC....)
Overall, I really wonder what we're teaching our children with this rubbish from the time they're born.
1 comment:
that's great! never heard that goat one before. i do sing rockabye baby, and i just say, "and momma will catch you, cradle and all." so it makes it less disturbing...although, i don't think it's too delightful to sing about your baby in a cradle at the top of the tree.
Post a Comment