Thursday, September 25, 2008

I'm Blessed to Have a Friend Like That

I recently heard a message on friendship from Ecclesiastes 4:7-12. It made me realize how many wonderful friends I have. One relationship in particular came to mind during the message, possibly because time has weathered and tempered it. I think our friendship is stronger and more meaningful because it has lasted so long and we have had so much time to build on our foundation (which by the way is centered in an air conditioning duct).

Please do not misunderstand. I have many wonderful friends who have been all these things to me as well, and I have a wonderful husband who I am also privileged to call my friend. It's just that these particular components of friendship brought to mind this particular relationship.

So, Friend, allow me to share a bit of what you mean to me.

1. A Shoulder to Shoulder Friend: someone you can work together with and bounce ideas off of.

Remember putting all those little girls to bed in their dorm, planning and executing a mission trip, and spending hours in midnight conversations solving all the problems in the world?

2. A Hand in Hand Friend: someone who will help you up when you're down, encourage and strengthen you when you need it, and generally just be there for you.

I can't count the times you've brought me encouragement when I needed it the most. The notes, the e-mails, even just your presence sharing my burden.

3. An Arm in Arm Friend: someone who will travel through life together with you and just enjoy being together.

This is the warm fuzzy one, the fun one that allows you to laugh together, play pranks on each other (remember the TP and shaving cream at camp when we were already supposed to be adults?), and just sit together on the porch in the middle of the night watching the trees waving in the wind and not saying a word for like an hour.

4. A Back to Back Friend: someone who will fight alongside you when tough times come, and if necessary cover your back in the thickest of battle.

I have been blessed to not have too many really bad times. But when the tough times have come, you've been there, ready to lend a helping hand, ready to take over my kids for me for a while so I can have a break, ready to clean my house, ready to encourage and strengthen me.

5. The Center: Christ - a cord of 3 strands is not quickly broken.

I believe part of the reason our friendship has stood the test of time when many other relationships have drifted apart is because both of us rely on Christ's strength. That common bond wraps us together and helps us look for ways to be friends to one another.

So thank you, Friend, for your astoundingly beautiful friendship over the years. I pray I have been even half of the blessing to you that you have been to me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking the other day that we've been friends for more than half our lives... mine anyway, I don't think you've quite made it. :o)
~
Thank you for the extremely kind words, I hope that I can continue to deserve them.