Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mother's Day Out

Well, one day down and 67 more to go.
Our first day of "school" (as the girls call it) was crazy hectic. In fact, it was kind of sad. It was so hectic I didn't even get to walk them up to their class. Someone else took them, and they didn't even care. They're growing up sooo fast! Anyway, they had a great time: ate "dino bread" (which J insisted was doggie bread), and learned about the letter A and number 1 (both of which they already knew). But the day will come soon I'm sure when they'll learn something I haven't already taught them, and then I'll be sad because someone else taught them instead of me (or C, which is all the same as she's probably already taught them more than I have anyway). J also managed to leave Blueper there, so I found myself driving through the remnants of Gustav at 7:30 last night to get him back.
"School" was also accompanied by a total regression in potty training by A. I don't know what on earth happened to the girl who hasn't had an accident once since she started wearing "big girl underwear," but in the past 24 hours, I've had to clean up after her three times. And yes, I'm getting ready to share about the worst one. So if you think this is gross, log off right now:
The girls were playing in my classroom after MDO was over yesterday afternoon, when A came waddling over to me crying. Turns out she had pooped in her panties, but as she hadn't sat down or anything I figured this would be pretty easy. I just upended the contents into the toilet, and the panties came out surprisingly clean. I cleaned her up, changed her pants, and returned her to her play. Then I went to flush the toilet. Horror of horrors. I guess because it was stuck between her and her underwear, it got all balled up and it was too big to go out the toilet pipe. Actually, it got stuck. I spent the next ten minutes in close fellowship (a little too close, in my opinion) with the toilet, plunger, and disposable plastic gloves, and did finally manage to dislodge the thing. Ugh, what a wonderful first day.
On the more normal side of things, A2 and I didn't have as good a day as the girls had. He was pretty confused about who those two women were who were suddenly taking care of him instead of Mommy. And I had a roomful of twelve young toddlers on every conceivable developmental level from unable to talk and walk to fully mobile (and always in "escape" mode) and potty trained. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience. I think things will settle down once we have a routine that works well, but these first few days of experimentation may be a bit unsettling. But any difficulty was erased at the end of the day by my little man's jubilant smile on seeing his Mommy.

1 comment:

shan said...

awww! and what a cute smile he has!! i'm so glad that you are getting to work and have your kids there, too. a blessing! you're doing a wonderful job, i'm sure of it. love you!