Thursday, September 25, 2008

"School" Talk

Conversation in the car on the way home from MDO (which, by the way, has settled in to a busy but nice routine with which everyone, including the 13 kids in my class, seems pleased):

A: I didn't have a bubble in my mouth.
Me: What?
A: The babies were sleeping, so I didn't have a bubble in my mouth.
Me: (sighing) A! When your teacher asks you to put a bubble in your mouth, you need to obey. Were you talking too much during rest time?
A: No, I didn't have a bubble in my mouth, so some of the babies were sleeping.
Me: Were some of the other kids in your class sleeping?
A: Yes.
Me: Did your teacher ask you to put a bubble in your mouth so you would be quiet?
A: No.
Me: Oh, were you already being quiet?
A: Yes.
Me: Good girl!
A: I didn't get a bubble in my mouth.
J: I had a bubble in my mouth so my teacher asked me to.
Me: (Big sigh)

I am wondering if A understands the "put a bubble in your mouth" concept. While we were camping last weekend, I let the girls blow bubbles out of a bubble pipe for the first time and she kept sucking in instead of blowing out. The result of course, was a mouthful of bubble solution, a lot of spluttering, spitting and face-making, and a reminder from Mommy that bubble solution doesn't taste good (as if she didn't already know). Heaven only knows what she thinks her teacher means by, "Put a bubble in your mouth."

J: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Me: Then what happened to Humpty Dumpty?
J: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Me: Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. Did you learn that in school today?
(no answer)
Me: Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall; Humpty Dumpty had a great falllll...
J: Ummm...
Me: All the king's horses...and all the king's men...couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.
J: They did put Humpty Dumpty together again. They put Humpty Dumpty together again two times.
Me: Two times?
J: Yes, Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall; Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the king's horses and all the king's men couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again. So all the king's horses and all the kings men put Humpty Dumpty together again two times.
Me: But they couldn't put Humpty Dumpty together again.
J: Yeah, all the king's horses and all the king's men put Humpty Dumpty together again two times.
Me: Ok.

No comments: