Originally, we were supposed to go there, spend the evening (possibly a very long one), and come home. This is a 45 minute drive one way.
They need their computer fixed. Joe can do that. We need our car fixed. S can do that. So we were going there.
But to get there, we had to jump the non-running car.
Problem #1: The non-running car wouldn't jump. No matter how many different ways we tried it.
Solution #1: S and R will come here to work on the car. We will go there so Joe can work on the computer. The girls and I will go swimming with S2, S3, H, and M.
We went there, while they came here.
Problem #2: I never once thought about the fact that J had on a pair of real underwear (albeit covered by a pair of plastic pants) and had just drunk approximately 20 oz. of juice and milk all at once. By the time we got there, she had to go. BAD!
Too bad. Joe rang the doorbell while I admonished J to "hold it just another minute, Honey." No one answered the door.
Conclusion: They must have already gone to the pool.
We walked to the pool with J doing this funny scissor step/hop all the way. I felt so bad for her. I thought that pool was really close to their house. I've been there before. Now, I can't imagine how it could be any further away. We got to the pool. No one was there.
By this time, there are streams running down J's legs and she is making this funny whimpering gasping noise. I let her pee in the grass. I know that's gross. Someday, maybe I'll think that was funny. Right now, I think it was awful.
It was too late to save her underwear, plastic underwear, and shorts. I had to change her. Unfortunately, the diaper bag was back at the car....
Finally, S2 and S3 found us. They had been in the house and just hadn't made it to the door right away. We walked all that horribly long distance back and finally got J cleaned up and changed. The girls went to play in S3's room and S2, H, M, A2, and I sat down on the living room floor to get acquainted.
Problem #3: Joe's phone rang. S and R had gotten to our house, but for some reason forgot about the garage door opener we left in the mailbox for them. They tried to open it manually, and the latch caught so it was stuck. It could only be opened from the inside.
Our nextdoor neighbor used to have a key to our house. But we needed it for something, and never got around to giving it back to her.
Solution #3: I will drive home with the kids to let S and R in the house.
In the meantime, I went to check on the girls who were playing somewhat too quietly in S3's room. Sure enough, we were back to Problem #2. A had a monstrously dirty pullup and J had insanely wet pants...again.
Result: A puddle on the floor of our friends' bathroom. In this whole potty training experience, we have not yet made a puddle on the floor, and the first time we do it has to be at someone else's house.
Solution #2: Put everyone in a pull-up so nothing can leak.
I cleaned up everyone and everything, loaded everyone back in the car, and headed home.
Oh, except for Joe. He stayed behind to work on the computer.
At home, we finally managed to get the garage door open, so the guys could work on the car. Then I went to McD's to get supper since the kids hadn't eaten and were getting cranky. I got the kids in bed. S went to the auto parts store to get a new fuse. They replaced the fuse, figured out what was wrong with the car and that they couldn't fix it, and finally went back to their house. S drove his car. R drove our car so Joe could get home.
Meanwhile, Joe mostly fixed the computer problem. Now I am waiting for him to drive back here...again.
No comments:
Post a Comment