In our house, Sesame Street is basically an unknown. The girls see Elmo and ask something equivalent to "Who's that funny-looking red guy?" They have a bath mat with Sesame Street characters on it (the only one they had at the store) and they've never shown the slightest bit of interest, other than pointing out the boats, ducks, and bubbles in between the characters.
Recently, that has changed. Now, suddenly, those funny-looking guys in different colors are of utmost importance. Why? Diapers.
Yes, I said diapers. Well, diapers and the fact the J's favorite color is yellow.
Did you ever notice that there is only 1 yellow Sesame Street character? Did you ever notice that there are about 10 red and orange Sesame Street characters? Did you ever notice that Pampers diapers are decorated with Sesame Street characters? And because Elmo is everybody else's favorite, he's in the run twice. But Elmo is not the favorite in our house. Big Bird is. Big bird only comes up about once in every 10-12 diapers.
A's favorite color is blue. Oscar (at least, I think it's Oscar) and Cookie Monster each come up once in every 10-12 diapers. So A is twice as happy as J is at diaper changing time.
Every time the diapers need to be changed, I hear this request: "Can you find a yellow (or blue) one for me Mommy?" in a sweet voice. I refuse. I refuse to paw through the entire package of diapers to find one that is the correct color. I refuse to discard all the orange and red ones in between. If yellow or blue is next up, fine. If not, too bad. "You'll have to wait, baby...uh, I mean, big girl."
"I'm a big girl. Who's yellow?" (The correct answer is Big Bird. Big Bird/big girl, same difference.)
Unfortunately for me, other people don't refuse the sweet voice. In my experience, I have found that grandparents (maternal or paternal does not matter) are especially prone to comply. The result is multiple opened packages of diapers with no remaining yellow and few remaining blue ones. And the orange and red ones are all topsy-turvy, helter-skelter. A and J think their grandparents are the sweetest for always supplying yellow and blue diapers. And I'm the horrible mommy who NEVER gives them yellow and blue diapers. (After all, I have multiple packages full of orange and red diapers to finish off before I can open a new package that contains approximately 4 yellow diapers and 60 that are other colors.)
I think it's time for potty training.
4 comments:
Actually...
When I changed A the other day, she decided that only one of the two blues is the "real" blue. The other one now counts as "purple." Or maybe it did only that evening. I don't know.
They have also often pointed out that there are no green ones. Good thing no one's favorite color is green....
That's right, blame the poor grand-parents. :-) We just love them som much we can't resist the pleading. A few times I've just used whatever was next.
"A few times????" =)
Post a Comment